Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Chapter 02 – That day continued


I reached the location when there were about thirty minutes still left in the scheduled time. Shaukat (name changed), our group leader and my partner for that location, reached the designated tea–stall for the show from another direction. Upon reaching the stall, he handed a bag, that usually contained packets of tea, to the person running the tea–stall, but, which contained something different that day; a new kind of package. He placed the package towards a side of the stall. The stall owner, a friend, handed a cup of tea each to Shaukat and me and motioned to us to sit down and wait for the time when we were to justify our love for our people and our cause.
There were more than twenty customers at his stall and almost the same number at an eatery stall a few feet away. And, between us, a multitude of our “customers” was flowing back and forth with their shopping bags.
It was 18.00 hours on that colder–than–usual Saturday evening in Delhi. Shaukat gave me a signal, which meant that just twenty minutes remained. He picked up a bag with actual tea bags and started to move away from the stall while our friend, the stall–owner, picked up a kettle of freshly cooked tea and a few tea glasses and moved in the opposite direction. The package had been perfectly placed to cause maximum damage. I don't know why but something was stirring inside me. For some strange reason, my hand wanted to reach out, grab the package and run away. Shaukat's voice and a tap on my shoulder by him somehow jolted me out of my trance and drove away those feelings of.... I don't even know how to describe those feelings in my mind and my......... Heart.
***************
We just glanced back to take a last look when we noticed a man picking up that shopping bag, the one that contained our package wrapped in black polythene, and walk away with it in the opposite direction, towards Ghaffar Market. Karol Bagh, like any other shopping area in Delhi, can have thieves walk away with people's stuff unnoticed. Since the bag was lying near our stall that had several customers sitting around, the thief might have assumed that it belonged to someone there and just picked it up and walked away.
We were stunned for a second as we had not expected it to go that way. We started following him quickly but did not run or shout as we did not want to bring anyone's notice towards us or that bag. We were following him as fast as we could but even he was walking as fast as possible, probably to get away from the area as soon as he could.
After going about fifty metres, he glanced back, probably to check if someone was following him or not. I am quite sure he saw us moving towards him as he picked up pace and glanced back after every couple of seconds. On the first two or three occasions, the glance was as if he was scanning, but, then, he started looking at us directly. Then, after a couple of minutes, he probably thought it wise to give up and left the bag on the road near an Autorickshaw (a three-wheeled public transport vehicle common in India) parked there and almost ran away. We went up to the bag to pick it up but when I was just about a few metres from the bag, Shaukat grabbed me from the shoulder to stop me. When I glanced back, I saw him looking at his watch. I immediately looked at my watch and guessed the reason for the same. It was already 18.10 and just ten minutes remained. There was no way we could pick it up and replace it at the stall in time and move away quickly without raising suspicion. We took a look around and saw that even though there were lesser people at that location, the number was still substantial. We decided to leave it there and get away.
***************
But, the feelings that I had been carrying since the morning were not for nothing. The bomb went off earlier than scheduled. We had gone just about two or three metres when it happened. The two of us were caught in the explosion. I knew it there and then that I was destined to die, to be killed by it. I had to explode that day.
The force of the blast hurled me a long way. I hit a pole with the side of my head first, rebounded to the left, and, then, landed on the ground on my back with a resounding thud.
***************
I know that I am going to hear that thud for the rest of my dead life. It seems that it wasn't a bomb that we had kept at the stall that had exploded. What I had kept there, closely wrapped up inside that package, was my life. And, it had exploded. My life had been shredded to pieces and I could see those pieces flying away, slowly but surely, in all directions.
***************
Akbar’s friend, the one narrating the story to me, then, said,
“Akbar was hurt badly in that blast, but, he did not die. He was taken to be a blast victim along with scores of other victims of that blast and was sent to a hospital. However, by the time they reached the hospital with him, he had passed into a coma and stayed in that comatose state for a few days. I would give exact details of his time in the hospital later. Right now, he wanted me to describe something that happened to him while he was in that state of stillness. He wanted me to describe in exactly the same words as his own, as a feeling that runs over him every time he thinks about it. It is something that does not go away with the past. It has stuck to him and he can feel it happening to him again whenever he shares it. Therefore, please bear with me as I explain it to you as if it is happening to him right now.”
He, further, explained that sometimes, it has been observed that some comatose patients were able to hear and feel everything that happened around them while they were in that state. They could not react to anything but were able to remember whatever was said around them and could even describe some of their dreams quite vividly. It was the same case with Akbar. He had some experiences during those days that he wanted to share with the world through his book.
With that, Akbar closed his eyes and went quiet for a few minutes. I kept looking at him intently, waiting for him to speak. A part of my mind wanted me to break the silence and ask him to speak but my heart and the rest of my mind kept me from doing so. I could sense the intensity of emotions in that stillness on his face and I thought it better to wait.
After about ten minutes, which seemed to stretch for almost an hour, he started speaking.



No comments:

Post a Comment